Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ryan's Wife Loves Ryan's Daughter

This week's Friday Night Bite didn't include my husband, Ryan; however, Baltimore's own Ryan's Daughter brought much delight. My dear friend Katie, writer of Martha Like, and I decided to have dinner at this wonderful Irish Pub. Katie and I went to England together in 2002, so we know what it is to enjoy the environment of a good pub. Ryan's Daughter is definitely a good pub.

We loved how they had the fireplaces going and the seating was arranged comfortably so that we didn't feel like we had to listen to other people's conversations. The host was very welcoming, and our server was attentive but not annoying. When I told her I was having trouble choosing which Irish dish I wanted, she suggested the Boxty and said that the other items that were under my consideration were dishes I might get in other restaurants, but the Boxty was a unique and delicious option. I LOVE when a server knows his or her menu. There is nothing worse than a trying to order from a person who doesn't know the product. Points for exemplary service!

Now for the food....


The Chicken and Spinach Boxty was like an Irish version of an enchilada. This was a new experience, and I was pleasantly surprised. The ingredients were fresh and not overcooked. It could have used some salt and pepper, but that's easily added at the table. I know that Irish fare is usually on the bland side, and since my Hungarian side seems to dominate my Irish, I'm always looking for LOTS of flavor. As the dish goes, though, I was really pleased with my choice.

(Grilled chicken, fresh spinach and feta cheese sautéed with onions and tomato wrapped in Irish potato pancake, served with mixed vegetable.)



Katie ordered Fish-N-Chips. It looked quite tasty, and it was nice portion, for sure.


(Guinness battered codfish filet, lemon, wedge cut chips, coleslaw and remoulade sauce.)



Finally, for dessert we shared a Carrot cake. Not only did I love the presentation of this lovely treat, I enjoyed the addition of the apple slices to help cut the sweet icing flavor.

The only carrot cake I enjoyed more was my wedding cake from SugarBakers. (I think I will have to review my wedding vendors at some point on here, too.)


The unfortunate aspect of this restaurant is its parking situation. It's not the easiest restaurant to get to with all the side streets, but beyond that, the parking just can't support its multitude of loyal patrons. Of course, the piles of snow didn't help either. ;)

Overall, I was most pleased with my Bite this week. Even more so, I'm excited about the outcome of our dinner. Katie and I have decided it's time to go back to the United Kingdom, so plans are now underway to celebrate the ten year mark since our great coming-of-age experience...only this time, our husbands will be there to start our next chapter. (I'm looking forward to Friday Night Bite and Write going international!)

So to end this week's Bite--Ryan's wife highly reccommends Ryan's Daughter.


Hooray for Ryan's Daughter!
Wishing you a warm heart and a full tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment